Sunday, December 30, 2007

Salmon with Mango Mustard and Black Beans

Salmon with Mango Mustard and Black BeansI was never a fish lover. I'd even say I was a fish-hater but all that changed when I took a class on cooking fish and one of the many terrific recipes I took away was this one--it helped to change my bigotry against this tasty and good-for-you meat. Love those Omega-3 oils!

The recipe is completely quick and easy and the blend of flavors is perfect, especially when finished off with a pretty little side of rice. Light and healthy to lead you into 2008.

For the beans:
1 15-ounce can of black beans, undrained
1/2 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
2 teaspoons instant minced onion
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

For the mango mustard sauce:
1 cup sliced mango
1 1/2 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
dash of salt and pepper

4 salmon fillets
3 cups cooked white sticky rice

To prepare:
Season salmon fillets with salt and pepper. Grill or bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes per inch of thickness or until the fish flakes when tested with a fork (if it's slightly translucent or doesn't flake easily it's not done). Keep fillets warm.

Drain the beans, reserving 1/3 cup of the liquid. In a saucepan combine the beans, reserved liquid, bell pepper, onion, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and salt. Cook over a low heat for five minutes.

Combine the mango, cider vinegar, mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a food processor and pulse until smooth or slightly chunky, depending on your taste. Transfer to a microwaveable dish and heat for one or two minutes until it's warm.

To serve, spoon the black beans onto a dish, top with a fillet and drizzle with the mango mustard sauce. Serve with a side of white rice for nice variety and balance. Makes 4-6 servings.

***

And if this spicy mustard doesn't warm you, you can check out the video KT Cat made just for me. I feel warmer just watching it.

Technorati tags:

18 comments:

Robin said...

I'm still a fish-hater, except for salmon, but I do eat salmon and this sounds delicious.

I can't get decent fresh salmon though, so I always marinate mine before I cook it.

Loralee Choate said...

I was a hater, too. Now? LOVE it. LOVE SUSHI.

MMM..

My husband is still a jealous hater, but he is like Robin and loves Salmon. I am always looking for new recipes and this sounds delish.

Erica Douglas said...

I hate it but I'm going to try and see if I can manage some white fish in the new year.

I always see nice fish recipes and would like to try them.

Rebecca Mecomber said...

ALASKAN salmon.

I am so very, very jealous.

Musings of a Housewife said...

I love salmon but I'm sick of preparing it the same ol' way. THANKS! I'm totally making this.

janet copenhaver said...

This dish looks fabulous! I will need to try it. I'm not a fish lover either and have never cared much for salmon. My mother loves salmon, so while I'm in Denver this coming week I think I'll give it a whirl.

Daisy said...

Mango mustard? I don't know about the mustard sauce, but I do like salmon. Yummy and easy to cook!

K T Cat said...

Thanks for the link!

Michaele Sommerville said...

Num Num Num! Shoot. Too bad I'm no longer in Alaska- the frozen grocery store salmon we get here just isn't the same.

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Consider a giveaway of Alaskan salmon.. mmmmmm.

My husband works for the post office; he says it might keep via postal all the way to New York. ;)

Shelli said...

Oh I'm going to try this. Thanks!

jubilee said...

don't do fish, but this sounds like it's worth a try.

Fresh Girl said...

I LOVE salmon and that looks great! The beans, too. I'm definitely putting those two dishes on my must-cook list.

I get more good recipes from you... :)

my4kids said...

Ooh that looks good! I love fish though and always have :)
I haven't been reading many blogs lately just so much going on with Christmas and our getting ready to move to another house so I'm trying to catch up!

Annikke said...

This sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Fresh Girl said...

M, I fixed this meal tonight and it was *delicious*!! Loved the sauce and especially the black beans. Thanks for posting it! Can't wait to see what you feature tomorrow. ;)

P.S., I'm doing a food & photography project for the next year, so you can see a photo of tonight's meal on my blog.

ShellyH said...

wow, great blog! I enjoy cooking and baking so I am enjoying your fantastic blog!

Anonymous said...

sounds so flavorful and HEALTHY! can't wait to try this out.