Sunday, July 29, 2007

Seared Scallops with Tarragon Cream

Seared Scallops with Tarragon CreamI'm a big fan of shellfish, and sea scallops are tops--even their little shells are cute.

This is an easy, quick recipe that will impress anyone lucky enough to be your dinner guest with this on the menu. Serve with a little side of rice and you're good to go.

1 1/4 pound large sea scallops
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons butter
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 cup fat free half and half
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon

Pat the scallops dry then sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over high heat and add scallops and cook until brown on the bottom, about three minutes. Turn the scallops over and cook until they're opaque in the center, about one minute longer. Transfer scallops to a plate. Reduce the heat to medium and melt the butter in the same skillet. Add the flour; stir one minute and then gradually whisk in the half and half. Simmer until it is thick and smooth, stirring often, about three minutes. Stir in the tarragon and any juices from the scallops on the plate. Season with the salt and pepper and spoon onto plates. Arrange the scallops, brown side up and top with sauce.

***

Slurping Life is holding a fundraiser for a sick little boy, Parker, with some nice prizes as incentives. It's worth your time to take a peek.

***
Creative Blogger Award
Thoughtful Blogger AwardCommunity Involvement AwardAnd I've been slow with this one (blame it on the vacations we've been taking lately) but I was tagged with the Community Involvement Award and the Thoughtful Blogger Award by Jenn at Something to Say and Karen Shanley (a terrific writer) and again with the Thoughtful Blogger Award/The Creative Blogger Award by Joyful Days and by Sognatrice at Bleeding Espresso (thanks so much!) It's taken me a while but here are some blogs that I'd like to award and acknowledge. When one of these tags hits I like to use it as a chance to introduce some of the blogs I enjoy reading and to say thank you for comments and kind words. Forgive me if you've already been tagged, but then that just proves how much you deserve it.

JChevais at No Place Like It who is an entertaining blogger and a talented illustrator.
Musings of a Housewife who is one of my newer blogging friends and one I've enjoyed getting to know.
Damesfly at Growing a Life who (sniff) didn't get to go to Blogher either!
Rebecca at Prologos who is also rather new to me but who I've enjoyed reading and plan to read more.
Sandy at Sandy and Kurt who's a long-time blogging friend and a great mom.
Blondie at Tales from Clark Street for all her orchid-loving greatness. And she LIVES in Chicago dang it, she's all over the Blogher thing.
Liz at This Full House because I really like to laugh.
Michelle A. from A Happy Heart because she knows about my love of dark chocolate.
Kailani from An Island Life because I've learned a lot about blogging from her.
La Bellina Mammina for life on the other side of the world--the warm side.
Heffalump at A Daily Dose of Mischief who is Oregon's version of Super Mom.
Babystepper at Babysteps who has deserved this for a long time for all her sweet comments.

Technorati tags:

22 comments:

Robin said...

That looks divine! Oh how I wish I could get scallops in Israel...

Stephanie Appleton said...

Oh I'm drooling here!

Musings of a Housewife said...

Why thanks so much!!!! And I'm in the BlogHer funk as well. I want to be there SO bad. Maybe next year...

Heffalump said...

Thank you for the tag.
The recipe looks great. I actually have to teach an Enrichment group class on cooking seafood next month and I think I may be adding this recipe to the list! Thank you!

Maddy said...

The recipe looks great, and now I have a whole load of new places to visit [although some are already familiar]
Cheers

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the award. I'm honored. However, I think it's the other way around - I've learned so much from you! You're my idol!

R said...

Ohhh... scallops! Your lucky, lucky family. Those children of yours had better eat-- and enjoy-- every bite.

I'm so honored that you tagged me-- thank you! Your site is one of my favorites, so it means a lot :) That was a wonderful Sunday surprise.

Sandy said...

You are so very, very sweet my friend! That totally made me day, and I can't wait to try the recipe.

Heather said...

I love scallops!! Thanks for the great recipe and the new links to check out. There are a few I haven't read before.

SabineM said...

I wish I had fresh scallops (and fish) like I have had in Alaska.... Great recipe. THANK YOU!
and I was a Thriller fan too! ;-)

Anonymous said...

The food looks scrumptious!

Congrats on the awards. :)

Anonymous said...

hi michelle: congrats on the awards. i love your wit and humor. ~cheers, kathleen :)

JChevais said...

Ooohhhhh... the recipe looks nummy.

And thanks for the shoutout.

Blogher funk? Oh yeah... totally know how you feel...

Tim Appleton (Applehead) said...

Why I am I always hungry when I think of you?!?

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know I made this for my husband - 5 stars!

Anonymous said...

Wow, getting an award from Scribbit is like, well...getting an award from Scribbit - very, very cool!

Michelle Alley said...

You are sooo awesome! Thanks for mentioning me on your site. Love your blog, and love telling everyone how fun it is to read your posts.

Carina said...

Thanks Scribbit. The power of schmooze, eh?

Hmm. That about sums up my existance, I think.

My mother told me the other day,

"No, you're right, you aren't stubborn. You are manipulative."

Thanks Mom. Love you to!

strauss said...

Yep, that scallops dish looks quite heavenly :)

The Tour Marm said...

Be still, my heart!

Lucious!

MMMM, yummy!

I had a wonderful time with the two teachers from a Catholic School in Anchorage who had never been to the east coast. I gave them a whirlwind familiarization tour. Their students will be traveling with me in Autumn of 2008!

More friends in Anchorage!

Ann @TheAssetEdge said...

Yum yum!!!

Anonymous said...

Your recipe looks so delicious, I also saw some great recipes in:
http://www.citystyleandliving.com/