Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sour Cream Pound Cake

Sour Cream Pound CakeI've always loved those bundt cake pans that come in fun shapes. If you've ever happened to want one too you've noticed they retail starting at $30.

However, last month I found a rose-shaped silicone Hamilton Beach pan at Walmart for $7.63 and snatched it up immediately.

If only the snow wasn't covering my garden the cake would look better with rose leaves around the base--or perhaps mint leaves in a pinch.

I used my favorite pound cake recipe but filled two mini-loaf pans half-full with batter as well because I knew the rose pan couldn't hold the whole batch of batter.

light non-stick spray for coating pan
3 cups sugar
¾ cup butter
1 1/3 cup egg substitute
1 ½ cup sour cream
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 ½ cups flour
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
powdered sugar for sprinkling

In a large bowl cream the sugar and the butter for five minutes. Gradually add the egg substitute and beat well for another minute.

In a small bowl combine the sour cream and baking soda. Stir the mixture well and set it aside. In another, medium-sized bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add the flour mix and the sour cream mix alternately to the creamed sugar mix, beginning and ending with the flour mix. Stir in the vanilla extract.

Bake the entire batter in either a greased 10-inch tube pan or divided between two greased mini-loaf pans and the greased rose silicone cake pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, gently remove the cake from the pan and cool completely. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar or serve topped with fruit, fruit sauce or whipped cream.

Technorati tags:

10 comments:

Dee Light said...

I've seen that at walmart too. I wondered how it would work. That cake looks great!!!

KarenW said...

I love fun things like that, especially for a deal! Great looking cake.

Heffalump said...

I love silicone baking pans. I have two bundt pans in silicone and some smaller ones that are more for making single serving cakes. I have four shaped like VW bugs, and 2 shaped like trains. Those small ones are all great for making chocolates too. We use them as molds. With my bundt pans though, they are slightly smaller than a regular bundt pan, so they don't hold as much.
I may try your recipe out too. I have never tried making pound cake before...and sour cream always makes everything better.

my4kids said...

I've wondered about the silicone baking items. So do they work any different then if you use a regular metal one? Like temperature settings or bake times?
This looks really yummy by the way and I like baking that includes sour cream. mmm

Melissa said...

That looks very yummy! I have some mini bundt pans that I'll have to try out.

By the way, I enjoy your blog. I found your link from another blogger. I've always wanted to visit Alaska.

Undercover Angel said...

The cake looks great. I'm going to have to get me some silicone baking pans. In the meantime, I'm going to try out your recipe this afternoon...

Unknown said...

I have that same pan but have never used it. Hmmm...this could be my inspiration...

Jenny, the Bloggess said...

I just drooled all over my keyboard.

butterfly cocoon said...

Hi, I just stopped by your blog today and wanted to say I enjoyed your writing! The pictures are great and that cake looks delicious!! Now I'm hungry... Trish

Lei said...

Ah, this would be great for my daughter's baptism brunch in a couple weeks. Thank you so much... yet again... for a fabulous idea.

*off to the big W*